Monday, January 20, 2014

Snow and Ice

Let it Snow Gypsies!
I love snow – I’ve never lived in it mind you, but I love how it looks! I also love embossing powders, especially the specialty ones full of chunks and shiny bits. So in honor of the winter season I decided to experiment with embossing on clear acrylic for a snow and ice effect.
The trick with embossing on acrylic is that acrylic melts – surprise! So you need to work fast and stay sharp while you use the heat gun on the acrylic to set the embossing powder.

I used a very very liberal amount of my Ranger Distress Embossing Pad so there was something for the embossing powder to stick to. Chunky embossing powder is the best for texture – it’s chunky, with lots of sparkle and texture to it, just like snow.
When I started using the heat gun I kept it moving, making sure to move the gun away as soon as the acrylic started to buckle or warp.

After I edged all of the sheets, I adhered the chipboard letters – previously covered with paper – and snowflake buttons. Using my Crop-o-dile I punched a pair of holes at the left edge of each sheet for binding, and tied the book together with a couple of strips of frayed white ribbon. – the more frayed the better. Inserted in the binding is a bundle of winter twigs complete with sparkly frost.

Finishing touches
The tiny tree - thanks Tim Holtz - is dabbed with adhesive then rolled in very fine white glitter for a snow-dappled look.
So happy Snow Day fellow Gypsies. Be sure to stop back soon for more winter wonder!

~ Materials ~
6x6 acrylic sheets
Ranger Distressed Embossing Pad
Chunky Embossing Powder
Ideaology tree




1 comment: